When setting up a DHL Express account for international shipping, you will have to state in which way the Customs, Export and Duties are to be used and set up.
This article is supplementary to the regular setup detailed in the DHL Express Billing Account Setup article and it considers that the account has already been set up and created for domestic shipments.
Feel free to follow the step-by-step guide written below or the video guide, as you prefer:
To configure Export and Customs you will have to:
1. Access Clients under the Maintenance menu
2. Click on the client related to the order
3. Edit the Billing Account (Carrier) related to the order and error
4. Select the Carrier Options tab and define:
5. Required basic information
- Default package description: Specify the package description which should be included in all orders
- Currency Code: Currency code used for the orders
6. Enter the Duties information
- Is Dutiable (Optional): Should be checked if all the shipments imported through this account profile are dutiable; If not, leave it unchecked and provide the flag as part of the order
NOTE: The following duties settings information will be applied if this flag is on at the client or order level, otherwise, they will be ignored.
- Duties Payment Type: Specify who and how the is paying for Duties costs (Shipper, Receiver, Third Party); if you will pay for Duties with your account, select Shipper; if the option is [Not Set] the consignee will be expected to pay for the Duties cost
- Duties Account #: Account number in accordance to the billing type selected; if [Not Set] leave this field empty
- Duties & Taxes Prepaid: Check if you want Duties and Taxes Prepaid through the selected account
7. Enter the basic Export information
- Export Reason: Choose an option from the dropdown according to the requirements from your origin country to the possible destinations: [Not Set], Permanent, Re-Export, Temporary
- Skip Trade Documents: If checked, trade documents will not be generated, by default DHL Express does generate ETDs
- Paperless Trade: Disables generating paper documents when processing the orders
8. Enter the optional Export information
- Shipper EORI number: Complete with your shipper EORI number
- Shipper Tax number: Complete with your shipper Tax number if you or a third party will pay for taxes
9. Enter the additional Export information
- Terms of Trade: Complete selecting the customs clearance option that applies to your shipments based on your operations and the DHL classification guide (access and expand the list below the description)
- Print Waybill: Indicate if you will enable, disable or default (order dependent)
10. Press Save to apply the changes
If the rest of the order information is correct, you will be able to Process or Process and Print.