When setting up a UPS account for international shipping, you will have to state in which way the Customs, Export and Duties are to be used and set up.
This article is supplementary to the regular setup detailed in the UPS Billing Account Setup article and it considers that the account has already been set up and created for domestic shipments.
WARNING: For electronic transmitted documents features usage, make sure your UPS account is enrolled for UPS paperless invoicing (https://www.ups.com/ca/en/services/international-trade/paperless-invoice.page). Otherwise, you will need to download, print & attach the commercial invoice to the shipped boxes for any international shipment.
When ETDs are enabled, Paper Invoices won't be provided, and an ETD mark will be added to the label.
Feel free to follow the step-by-step guide written below or the video guide, as you prefer:
To configure Export and Customs you will have to:
1. Access Clients under the Maintenance menu
2. Click on the client related to the order
3. Edit the Billing Account (Carrier) related to the order and error
4. Select the Carrier Options tab and define:
5. Enter the Duties information
- Duties Paid by: Specify who and how the is paying for Duties costs (Receiver, Sender, Third Party, [Default]); if you will pay for Duties with your account, select Sender; if the option is [Default] the consignee will be expected to pay for the Duties cost
- Duties Paid by Account #: Account number in accordance to the billing type selected; if [Default] leave this field empty
- Duties paid by postal: Country of origin of the Account being used; if [Default] leave this field empty
6. Enter the Export information
- Reason for export: Describe the reason for export to apply to shipments processed through the account (Commercial, Gift, etc)
- Skip Trade Documents: If unchecked, techShip will automatically handle ETDs, if checked, trade documents will be skipped
- Currency code for Export: Specify the currency you will use for international shipments
7. Press Save to apply the changes
If the rest of the order information is correct, you will be able to Process or Process and Print.